Thursday, February 27, 2014

Provocation - Gender Identity

Take this scenario: A boy arrives at your service wearing a pink shirt and a coupe of other boys notice his arrival. These boys comment that he's a girls because he's wearing a girl's shirt.

Or how about this one: A girl really wants to join some boys while they engaged in some rough and tumble superhero play, but one of the boys tells her she can't play be a superhero because she's a girl.

How do you react in such a situations if you react at all?

Are there other ways in which your children, colleagues or even yourself maintain biased beliefs that restrict certain children from engaging in specific experiences?

Are dress ups, dance or doll play domains primarily for girls?

Do you encourage boys more toward construction or with the use of real tools such as hammers and screwdrivers?

We all carry preconceived ideas and beliefs, but should we let these interfere with our pedagogical decisions?

2 comments:

  1. I have lots of things I want to say to in response to this, and nowhere enough time to be able to sit here and type in all the words and ideas that flood through my brain right now...

    Over the years I have had plenty of boys coming to preschool in pink... in skirts and dresses and being the mum or the princess... if they are questioned I let the children answer themselves... because often they have the right answer... but if they are being told that they can't wear pink etc I will ask them why they can't... will something happen... are colours gender specific? And then tell them about the history of colour and gender...

    Role-play is where EVERYONE can pretend to be what they want... boys can pretend to be mums just as children can pretend to be birds or lions... children are often much more accepting when you enter a discussion with them... it is juts about entering that discussion and allowing them to see another perspective and not just the one that society is feeding them...

    I do blog every once in a while about gender issues... equality of play, of life is important to me... and gender is a part of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier Suzanne, but I was hoping others would add their perspective and I didn't want to add my voice before they had the opportunity to do so. However, I think enough time has passed now. You hit the nail on the head in my book. While there have been great inroads in this area, I'm afraid we still have many in our profession who don't see things the way we do.

      Delete