Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Good and the Bad

This year has seen many changes in my career. New services, new children, new families, new colleagues, new communities, new situations new circumstances.

Throughout these changes I have encountered a variety of experiences that range from truly magnificent to the downright appalling. Now I am not about to go into detail here about what took place at these times. For one I do not have the permission of the people involved, many being children.


What I will do however, is ask for you to share one positive and one negative story from your time working with young children. They don't have to be extreme examples from either end of the spectrum, but just one from either side of the ledger.

The purpose for this is to try and gain a collection of reflections that highlight the vast array of experiences that make up the working life of an early childhood professional.

It is rewarding work that brings much pleasure and satisfaction to many, but it can also be quite tiring, stressful and at times thankless.

I will start things off......

Good: Working casually at one service a child gravitated toward me early on in the day. Several times she told me she loved me forever. When it was time for me to leave she hugged me and said I could come to her house and visit her.


Bad: Having a parent seem excited that I was beginning at her child's centre, but then clarifying that by checking that I wouldn't be working in the babies' room.

So there you go. They are mere examples, not guides as to what sort of story I want shared. Just please remember to respect the anonymity and privacy of all involved, and keep it all civil please.

No comments:

Post a Comment