Monday, August 26, 2013

Question Time


As it's been a bit quiet in here of late I thought it might be as good a time as any to pose a question to anyone prepared to read this. There's no pressure to answer publicly. Rather, see this as a provocation to look inwardly and reflect. Even reflect on your reflections if that makes sense.



When things aren't going the way you expected, or you seem at a loss to find solutions to the problems that present themselves to you, how do you cope?

Do you seek advice from others? Those around you who you trust to help guide you? Do you seek answers yourself from both familiar and new sources? Do you suffer in silence by putting on a brave face, for to appear vulnerable may be admitting you are weak, frail or fallible?


Do you open up to the world, admitting that you are unable to cope and embrace any and all assistance that may come your way? To hell with what people may think!
The reason I ask this of you all is that things have not gone completely to plan for me of late. I do not share this out of any desire to gain pity or help. In fact I'm coping quite well, thanks in no small part to my amazingly supportive family.
 
Yet there is much more to my coping mechanism. I am very fortunate to have many people in my corner equipped with the wisdom and understanding to say and do what needs to be said and done without taking it too far. After all, I need to get through these struggles in my own way, not as someone else may cope.
 

 
Some people believe in Karma while others believe that you reap what you sow. Personally, I am a firm believer that things often (although not always) happen for a reason and you will get more positive results if you remain positive.
 

 
So I am coping by remaining positive that something good will come of this ill. How do you cope?

4 comments:

  1. Greg, I am not one to talk it out. I can if there is no other way and then I am all in and I will see it through to the end. Rather, I am one to take a walk to gain some perspective. This summer I had some medical issues and was in the hospital and then homebound with severe lifting restrictions for six weeks. I could not walk. What I did, though, was to take past journeys in my mind. That was especially true while lying in the ER and the hospital room. I think I would call what I did mind walks. I came out of the ordeal thinking: "Things happen---and we make what we will out of them." Sorry, just rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing more comforting and helpful than the shoulder of family or a few good friends. Stay strong Greg, you are a good person and things will work in your favour, of that I am sure. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to be completely open and honest... and blog about it. That way I can talk my way through it, with support. Of course, it depends what the issue is, but that's worked for me with my cancer. Reflection is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not rambling Tom, that's quite profound. A 'profundity' as Billy Connolly would put it.

    We each have our own methods and mechanism when it comes to dealing with various situations. I like the sound of you 'mind walks' and think they would be very effective in a range of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete