Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Child's Idea of Decorating the Tree

We all get stuck in our ways - traditions we often like to call them. Most the time I believe it's more a case of not wanting to change a way of doing something because that's how it's always been done.

In most circumstances I would like to think that I buck the trend rather than follow it. I'm usually not big on blindly following what's gone before. However, when it comes to Christmas I have to admit that in some areas I do stick to the tried and true.

The best example is decorating the tree. Whether at home or at work with the children, it has usually been about putting an artificial tree up, decorating it with store bought plastic decorations and voila!


 
 


Of course there have been modifications to this. In particular the home-made decorations which the children, mine and those I work with, make themselves. A slow move towards more natural materials too. For instance, we made a star  out of twigs found in our playground, plus an alternative tree from a fallen branch that we also decorated.



But to truly think outside the square it took the genius of a young boy determined to make the tree beautiful in his own way. And boy didn't he succeed? I don't think I've seen a greater adornment of a Christmas tree, especially as none of the 'decorations' are actually on the tree.

We can all learn alot from the children we work with if only we take the time to stop, look and listen before crossing the road to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment