Saturday, October 20, 2012

Risk Taking Conference - The Lead Up

In less than a week I will be attending the "Unwrapping - Encouraging Risk in The Cotton Wool Generation" conference in Newcastle, NSW next weekend, October 27 and 28. A little plug for where I grew up. I will always be a novocastrian at heart.

Anyway, I am so excited to be going to this event. Not only is this an important topic for the early childhood sector, one that I feel passionate about, but also because of who will be there.

This conference will be hosted by Natashja and Nicole from Inspired EC. The keynote speaker will be Claire Warden from Mindstretchers. Other presenters will include such luminaries in the early childhood field as Niki Buchan from Precious Childhood, and Donna and Sherry from Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning. I believe that Jennifer Kable from Let the Children Play will also be in attendance.
 
I look up to all these people with the greatest of respect and greatly admire the work that they all do. To have the opportunity to finally meet many of them for the very first time is definitely something to get excited about. The fact that I have developed a strong professional and personal online network with these and other early childhood educators, trainers and consultants makes the imminent meeting all the more special to me.
 
Let's just hope I don't get star struck and can still focus on what each guest speaker has to say. After all, despite a growing trend back towards accepting some risk taking in young children, there is still much work to be done and I want to be fully equipped to fight the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment