Thursday, October 4, 2012

It's Not Always About Gender

This post is a little different from the usual found here, although it still has gender element to it.

Here in Australia there has been a high profile custody battle across continents over the past 2 years or so. I won't go into details, but you can read the latest here with links to earlier stories available.

On a number social media and news forums there have been various responses to what has taken place and has been portrayed by the media during this ongoing saga.

The danger with such a high profile case is that facts get distorted and it becomes very difficult to sift through all the information in order to find the bare truth.

Everyone, it seems, has an opinion on this. However, some opinions seem to disregard or ignore certain facts. Or more worryingly, consider them unimportant.

While the majority of comments I have read, and that is just a mere drop in the ocean of what is actually out there, people are content with the legal process and final judgement handed down. Although they are very concerned about its portrayal in the media.

Still, there are those out there who hold preconceived ideas about gender, no matter what the circumstance. Take this one example from a news/entertainment forum,
"This is what I suspected. It is so easy for a man with financial means to hire a smart lawyer who can manipulate the courts against a financially powerless wife. A grave miscarriage of justice has occurred. But what never ceases to amaze me is the number of people like so many posting on this site who are eager to condemn the woman without knowing the full facts."
 
I always find it amusing when people put down others for doing exactly what they themselves are doing. Sadly I so often see similar double standards within the teaching profession. But that's for another time.
 
The facts, as far as I can discern, are that the court ruled in favour of the father under the jurisdiction of the Hague Convention, which was developed with such cases in mind. Yes the legal process is far from perfect, but unless we are privy to all the facts, and we rarely are, then how are we to make educated and informed judgements?
 
In my humble opinion the gender of the parent in this case is insignificant. International and national laws are what determined the outcome of the court's verdict, as it always should be. As I said however, I am not in possession of all the facts and therefore I have based my view  on what I do know and what I deem to be fair and just.

You my dear reader must make up your own mind. But please don't turn this into a man versus woman issue. It's not always about gender.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment