Friday, July 13, 2012

Children are the Best Judges

Many of us receive all sorts of feedback from other adults. Our parents, spouses/partners, friends, colleagues, parents of the children we care for and other professionals are all likely to provide us with their opinion of how we are performing as a professional and individual. Some of this can be quite constructive criticism, yet there is also examples of people finding fault because what they witness or are told about flies in the face of their own philosophy, whether it be personal or professional.

Over the years I have been on the receiving end of some quite petty complaints from all sources. When coming from fellow professionals I find it difficult to comprehend that these people can actually be so unprofessional. On the other hand, negative feedback from families of children is a little easier to digest, even if it hurts just as much, as they are coming from a completely different perspective that is part of the complete make up of the child.

It must also be said that much of the feedback I have received that has been less than favourable has been presented in a manner that is constructive and enables me to further develop myself as an early childhood educator. After all, feedback, both good and bad, is vital if we are to grow and develop effectively.


Now the reason I am writing about this is that I recently received some fantastic positive feedback from the best sources, children. Well actually it was the parents personally giving me the feedback, but the children were the sources. Several parents over the past few weeks have commented how their children continually talk about how much they miss me and liked having me as their teacher.


I still work indirectly with some of these children as they are simply in a different room to me at the moment while others have moved onto school, attended a centre I use to work at or have left our service for one reason or another. For those still within our service there is a real possibility that I will again become their teacher. This would open up the opportunity for our relationships to resume and develop even further.

Now many people say children are the harshest critics and the best judges of character. In many ways I agree with that statement which is why such feedback means so much to me. it's one of the reasons that this job is so worthwhile. Whenever I have self-doubt or am second guessing whether what I am doing is effective all I need do is recall moments such as those above to restore my confidence and self-worth.

I believe in myself because these little human beings believe in me. It's as simple as that. Oh, and my family believes in me too.

2 comments:

  1. I understand exactly what you're saying! With adults, one is never quite sure of their authenticity or their agenda when they criticise or praise. Children are much more genuine.

    ReplyDelete