Saturday, July 7, 2012

2 Great Minds Meet At Last

I have had the pleasure and privilege to connect with so many wonderful people via blogging, social media and other areas of the Internet. Networking with professionals, parents and community minded folk has helped me further develop as an educator and as an individual.

What's even better is that many of these people I now count as very dear friends. We support one another through good times and bad. We offer feedback and advice. We share, care and despair together. We laugh, love and live together. The one regret is that most of these friends remain enigmas to me as I have not yet met them face to face.


Well today that changed a little. Today I finally got to meet Candy Lawrence from Aunt Annie's Childcare in person. We had a great time chatting over lunch, sharing stories and the like. The amazing thing is that our conversations tended to follow a similar path to those we have online. I guess that indicates that our friendship transcends distance. However, it was still lovely to meet the person I have connected so well with.

Thank you for a lovely day Candy. Now I only need to repeat this experience with my other online networking friends.

7 comments:

  1. I loved it too, Greg! May there be many more real-life interactions between online colleagues. I dream of an EC conference where all of us bloggers can get together- but it may last a year, we all have so much to say! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Greg. I really would like to meet face-to-face many of my friends from the blogosphere. It's great that you and Candy got to get together.

    My wife and I are tentatively planning a trip Down Under next year. Maybe we could get together if that happens. (Me, you, Candy, anyone else I can wrangle to meeting me while I'm there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It depends on where eactly you intend to go Scott, but yes that would be a perfect opportunity to catch up with those who are usually searated by so much distance.

      Delete
  3. This is pretty cool! It's a shame that the very nature of our distance is what brings us together online, and is also the thing that makes it so difficult to get together. I'm so glad you two got the chance to connect in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the distance between us all Ayn that makes our friendships and connections so much more meaningful. Not to mention that any real-life meetings will be so much more special as a result of that very distance.

      Delete