Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Other Side of the Gender Imbalance Argument

I was contacted by someone who has developed a graphic representation of the imbalance within the mathematical, scientific, engineering and technology fields. I could simply reply with my own thoughts, but wanted to open this up to anyone willing to contribute their own thoughts. As I have been posting recently on the imbalance within the early childhood field, one of the few in which men are actually the vast minority, I thought it was appropriate that I provide a viewpoint from the other end of the spectrum.

If you would like to take a look at this visual and leave your comments on it I will alert the member of the creating team who contacted me so they can collect your feedback and respond to any questions you might pose.

Please find the link to the piece here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really interesting, Greg. I've always wondered how much influence co-ed schools have on statistics like that. I worked in a girls-only, extremely selective school for 15 years, and those girls believed they could do anything- they really did.

    An amusing side-story from that school: when the first round of equal-opportunity legislation came in, the school was required to show how they would increase work opportunities for women within this workplace. From memory, there was a percentage improvement requirement. We were in danger of being deregistered, because so many women were already employed that it was simply impossible to meet the improvement ratio! No glass ceiling in that extremely academic workplace.

    Sadly, that is the exception rather than the rule. I did find when I worked in co-ed schools that the girls were not only more easily distracted, but that they purposely played down their abilities for social reasons. I found it incredibly irritating and discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find these types of presentation negative as they are trying to balance genders by putting one gender down instead of telling women all the opportunities this sector has to offer and let them make up their own mind. If I tried a similar campaign to get more men into childcare here in Ireland by saying how much better guys are at certain aspects of childcare than women I be on killed by my sector, wife and most of society. I respect my co workers to much to even entertain the idea. If I was a women I'd be none the wiser why I should look at science and maths as a career path after reading the presentation. Here's a lovely article from the mens network in the UK that I loved because it looks at gender balance in an equal way, enjoy, Mick http://brightonmanplan.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/have-women-swung-the-pendulum-too-far/

    ReplyDelete