Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Technology, Our Friend and Foe

Do you remember how you got by in life, both professional and personal, before you had access to the Internet or mobile/cell phones? We pretty much just got on with what we had to do. Sometimes with some help from those immediately around us, but basically on our own. Now with such advanced technology we can connect with people in an instant no matter how far away they are. We influence, and are influenced by, people in other continents who we have never met in person. Even our professional life is technology driven, what with digital images being part of documentation and the use of computers to program, plan and do so many other work-related things.

I have had some issues with my computer of late and although I now have a phone with access to the web, connection is dicey at best and service is soooo slow it's hardly worth the effort to attempt to go online. I have also been without a computer at work due to system upgrades, so my problems were exacerbated. Such issues bring up problems I haven't had to deal with in the past. How do I contribute to my blogs? How can I stay connected with those I learn so much from when I have no idea what they've been up to? How can life go on? Ok that may be a little melodramatic, but you get my point.

Technology has become such an integral part of our day to day lives that things get a real shake up when it betrays us. In many instances it has been my saviour, but my dependence on it so rapidly was never more evident then when I had absolutely no access to any online service for 3 days as an individual and as a professional.

How dependent are you?

4 comments:

  1. I admit to being a junkie, partly because I live in a very isolated area nowhere near any of my friends or colleagues. I've spent so much money I could ill afford tweaking my connection and changing carriers till I got a decent internet speed! I feel completely lost without it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely and utterly dependent. I am attempting to go paperless as much as possible for planning, record-keeping, and sharing with parents. I also rely on the technology for sharing with other educators and this has brought me so much joy. It would be rough to regroup if I lost access.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're all tech junkies Lesley & Candy. Afterall, where would we be blogwise without it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww hope you get sorted soon Greg - we miss you! I hate it when people who don't understand the whole wonderful world of the web knock it & sneer at those who use it. I for one would not be the teacher I am today without the help, influence & challenge of my many colleagues on here.

    ReplyDelete