Saturday, January 14, 2012

More Options than Childcare


Most, if not all of the people who might read this post and this blog are in some way involved in childcare. As most of you would know, there is a vast discrepancy between the number of men working in the profession to women. Many of you are most likely also aware of the main factors keeping men from considering childcare as a career. However, that is not what this post is about.


There are many other options out there for guys to consider of they enjoy spending time with children and would like to contribute to their growth and development.

There are plenty of opportunities to coach young children in sports, either individually or as a team. A good place to start is with your own children, if you have any that is, or those of friends or relatives.





My own story saw me become involved in my children's sports, mainly my son. Actually it began when I first became a parent, but for the point I'm trying to make let's just stick with the sport. I am currently helping him begin his burgeoning golf career, having been a low handicapper myself. In the past I have helped out in an unofficial capacity with his soccer teams, assisting at training and filling in as coach a few times. I have managed/co-coached his cricket teams and often take him for training sessions for his athletics. I managed his age group for 9 years and now look after the tiny tots. I  am also a vice president of the club.
Becoming involved in all these ways have helped me bocome a more complete parent and educator. The beauty of this type of involvement is that there is usually no formal training required, ecept pehaps for a session or two about the rules or training techniques.
So for any guys out there who may be a bit unsure of whether working with young children is for them, why not give coaching/managing/helping out a try. Who knows, it could be just the thing for you or it might even lead to other opportunities. Whatever happens, get out there! We need more quality men in all aspects of our children's lives.

2 comments:

  1. great post Greg & I know from experience that any of my male freinds who are now in the early years sector got started when their own kids were small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be an unlooked for avenue into the profession. But still, the swimming instructor, sports coach, scout leader, children's theatre contributor, etc all have plenty to offer young and not so young children.

    ReplyDelete