Thursday, December 1, 2011

Unsung Heroes


This is my family. I usually keep my personal & professional life as separate as possible. However, I recently went through a stressful & somewhat traumatic time at work. My wife is superb! Not only does she put up with me bringing work home, she gives me time & space to do that work too. She allows me to spend OUR money on resources & ideas for work. She also gives me gentle (& not so gentle) reminders to not forget my obligations to my kids. More important than that though in many regards is that I know I have someone who is understanding & compassionate ready to listen to any problems, concerns or issues I might be having.

Working in Early Childhood Education, I am often faced with the unexpected. At times, these events are minor & have no real impact on my life outside work. Yet there are times when something occurs that can have significant ramifications in both the short term &, in extreme cases, for extended periods of time.

It is at times like these that I am grateful for my wife & all that she does in support of me. Sure I have access to support networks through work, but somehow knowing that I have a secure place to return to when things get tough is usually enough to see me through. I should also highlight the fantastic effect friends can have on our wellbeing. My recent episode saw me confide in two such people (you know who you are) & along with my wife they made me muddled brain clear the fog away so that reason & logic can restore order.

I'm sure there are others out there who similarly have people in their lives that help make the bad days fade away. To me, these are the unsung heroes of our profession. I can only speak for myself, but I am confident there are many others who would agree that without these support mechanisms in our lives some days would simply overwhelm us.

I am thankful those I have in my life that I can turn to when time get tough. My friends are important to me, but I don't know where I would be without my darling wife. She is my unsung hero. I'm sure you guys have one as well.


3 comments:

  1. Caring for other peoples children's welfare is a HUGE responsibility Greg. Sometimes when things go wrong at work they appear to be bigger than they really are but you know if you didn't feel like that, working in early childhood ... frankly I'd be concerned.

    You're a lucky man to have a wife who is there to support you on the good days as well as the bad days ... and those 2 friends you speak of ... well they must be pretty darn amazing too ;)

    Donna :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual Donna, you speak the truth. I just needed to acknowledge that many of us wouldn't be where we are today without special people in our lives supporting us on our journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second what Sherry and Donna say. Childcare is an extremely stressful profession and you really do need support, because when things go pear-shaped they tend to go BADLY pear-shaped.

    It's wonderful to see you acknowledging your support system in public- hats off to you. They deserve that.

    ReplyDelete