Friday, October 21, 2011

Interview with R Scott Wiley

Scott is the Author of the Brick By Brick blog & has kindly agreed to share some information about himself by answering a few questions.

1. Can you provide a little background information about yourself such as where you are from, where you work & the type of service, how long you have been working with young children & what ages you work with?


 I grew up in Texas but I now live in Nashville, Tennessee. I’ve been working with kids in some capacity for over 25 years. Currently I teach a group of 5-year-olds in my church once a week. I have 10-12 kids each week. My “day job” is working as an editor for a curriculum publisher, leading a team of people to create resources for religious educators (of babies through 12-year-olds). I also lead workshops and conferences for preschool teachers, helping them know more about teaching children.

2. Was there a defining moment when you decided to enter the early childhood profession?


 I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I remember. However, in high school I began working with young kids and knew that I wanted to teach in early childhood.

3. How many other men have you worked with & are they still in the field?


 Many times I’ve been the only guy in a group of teachers. Now, at my church, we have a man in almost every classroom - about 10 or so men.

4. What benefits do you get from working with young children?


 I love watching the way they think and their creativity. They always help me think about things in a new way. And they make me laugh.

5. Try to avoid modesty here. What advantaged do you bring to your service, the community & your profession, both as an individual & as a male in general?


 I like to listen to kids, to let them talk. So often in their world they must operate on someone else’s agenda or time frame. I want to let them follow their own ideas, their own course. And I want to pay attention to them. My wife says I am patient but I think that giving time to kids is so important - time to think, to talk, to try again.

I also try to encourage the kids to experiment and push the envelope a little bit, to take a risk. I encourage some of their crazy ideas. I think that sometimes that’s more of a male trait. But we need my wife in the classroom, too, making sure we don’t go too far or helping us curb things so we are safe and not too destructive.

6. Can you share some highlights of your career with us?


 I have been a center director of a preschool with about 100 kids, infants through 5-year-olds. I have taught kids of all ages. I’ve written curriculum resources (before I became an editor). And I’ve taught workshops and conferences throughout the United States.

7. Is there anything else you would like to add?


 I think teaching young kids is a most important job. By teaching young kids, we are impacting the future for years to come.

9 comments:

  1. Well there you go ... I had no idea Scott was an editor for a curriculum publisher.
    Oh the wonderful things you learn about people!
    Donna :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this interview. I didn't know Scott was an editor either. If Scott is reading the comments - I would like to know what city Scott grew up in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah, I grew up in Waco, Texas - central Texas - about 100 miles south of Dallas.

    I love my day job but I've been thinking about a change lately...maybe working in a classroom full time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yee-haw! I didn't know Scott was a fellow Texan! Great interview, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know where Waco is:) My family is all from Texas but we moved to Indiana when I got to high school.

    I work in the classroom part time. I also used to oversee and write curriculum. Writing curriculum full time is hard work! I rather teach then blog about the curriculum after I put it into practice in the classroom:) Of course - we all have to make a living too so finding balance is always a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great post - and looks like we all learned something new about Scott! I love that after 25 years your enthusiasm still shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting (and heated) debate about men in childcare in America is raging on this men's site: http://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rights/activism/jenna-myers-karvunidis-placed-on-offenders-registry/comment-page-1/#comment-68877

    FWIW

    ReplyDelete
  8. We learn something new every day! Scott, I thought you were in the classroom full time. Some people start in the classroom and eventually move up and on to other things, and some of us keep coming back. I think it means we're meant to be there. Your enthusiasm is contagious and keeps your students engaged and your peers inspired! Thanks, Greg, for sharing your interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    I read this post two times.

    I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

    Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

    Source: Preschool teacher interview questions

    Best regards
    Henry

    ReplyDelete