Monday, July 4, 2011

On Being a Dad and a Teacher - Conclusion

I will keep this conclusion brief as I don't really have much more to add. Through a suggestion from my wife, this year my daughter & I began a monthly ritual of just the 2 of us going to the movies. We take it in turns to select what we are going to see. The highlight of this exercise will be us sharing a midnight viewing of the final Harry Potter movie together, complete with us dressed in character - her as Hermione & me as Hagrid. These monthly events have provided some lovely moments of reflection about the movie we have seen as well just plain chatting. Our relationship appears to be at its richest for some time.

So, just as I act on feedback and reflection to better myself as a teacher, not to mention acting on the ideas and inspiration of others, so it seems I am doing with my parenting. I hope that in both cases it results in me becoming a better & more effective teacher/father. What it also highlights is that just as parenting is more effective as a partnership, when that is practical, teaching too is a works best as a team approach.

Finally, I would like to think that I am at least a half decent teacher & a more than adequate father. However, that is for others to decide. All I can do is continue to do the best I can in both roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment