Our mixture of self raising flour, water & green, red, blue & yellow food colouring resulted in some pastel coloured paint.
We soon discovered our mixture was a little runny, but we persisted with it anyway to see how they would turn out.
Unfortunately they didn't 'puff' up much after being microwaved. On Friday we tried again, but with less water this time. The result was a more gelatinous mixture.
The colours also seemed to sit side by side rather than blending together as they made contact with each other.
These works definitely did puff out in the microwave. Unfortunately my photos of the finished works were accidentaally deleted so you'll have to take my word for it.
Today (Tuesday) we extended on this by providing tissue paper for the children to apply their puffy paint to.
While this was a different experience again, we found that as the paper was more flimsy it performed it ways that worked against the children as they painted.
The paper stuck to the brushes, folded in on itself & even tore in places.
Nevertheless, some wonderful ingenuity on the part of these 2 year olds led to some very creative and imaginitive artworks. This included excellent problem-solving skills to get around the paper-folding conundrum.