Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Eric Carle

Through a post by Donna and Sherry at Irrisistable Ideas for Play Based Learning http://www.playbasedlearning.com.au/ I discovered that it is Eric Carle's 82nd birthday this week. Kate at An Amazing Child http://www.anamazingchild.com/ is hosting a blogging birthday party for the great man in celebration of his wonderful contributions to children's literature.

My contribution to this is what we did today to celebrate. We read one of Eric carle's most loved books,
The Very Busy Spider. One aspect I love about this book is that it has so many dimensions to it. You can talk about the animal that appears on each page, or move & sound like them as we did today. Or you can introduce maths concepts as the web is constructed such as, the number of threads that make it up increase each page, the shapes that appear as the web develops or classifying the animals into groups (eg: by number of legs). You can add to the experience by introducing props or other enhancements. Today we read the book a few times & each time our resident spider helped us along the way.
So in the end our Very Friendly Spider helped us read and experience The Very Busy Spider.
Wasn't it nice of her to take time away from her web?

8 comments:

  1. Your spider and web look wonderful. My son would love to have a web in his room.

    I would love for you to link in to my weekly children's book exploring meme called Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! How did you attach the web to the ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked up to your meme. What a brilliant idea!

    The spider puppet was a gift, but the children & I made the web earlier this year. As I know the true location of the web it never occurred to me until now that it does look as if it's attached to the ceiling. In actual fact the branch the web is wound around is lying across 2 art lines that run from one side of the room to the other. I like the idea of placing it the corner of the ceiling though, just like a real web.

    Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome..Great to see the site up and going. I'm so glad to hear you stuck in there. Keep up the great work, the posts are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Very Busy Spider is a great Eric Carle book. I love the idea of making a web in the house. I am happy I found your blog. I am a stay at home dad.
    My youngest son's favorite Eric Carle book right now is Have You Seen My Cat? We made our own book with Eric Carle Style illustrations to celebrate Eric Carle's Birthday. Hope you can come check it out:

    http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2011/06/happy-birthday-eric-carle-june-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. This counts are an entry in the June Edition of Read.Explore.Learn. Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa - Thanks, let's hope we can keep it up.

    Eric - Checked it out & it looks like a great idea. Nice to see you include Aussie authors, but I could suggest a couple more for you such as Mem Fox & Pamela Allen.

    Leanne - thank you

    ReplyDelete